Today ice is everywhere, you can get it at any convenience store, and we always have some on our freezer. So, what’s the problem with ice then? Well, the ice cubes at home might be ok to use but think twice before ordering ice in your drink at a restaurant. Here’s why you should never get ice in your drink.

There’s fecal material in the ice.

Let’s start with the worst part. Yes, it’s true, there’s poop in ice. At least sometimes. Fecal contamination is unavoidable, and coliform bacteria just loves to sit on ice.

These bacteria travel through the air, and since ice is rarely protected from the environment, it will undoubtedly catch a few bacteria. Even if an establishment is extra careful, ice suppliers are not. But how about ice machines? Well, you’ll soon find out this is not a healthy option either. Ok, nothing is worse than fecal matter on your drink, but we’re just getting started.

Ice machines are incredibly moldy

It’s impossible to clean an ice machine thoroughly, especially the device’s inside, where ice forms. All those nooks and crannies become the home for bacteria, yeast and mold. Humidity and cold are the perfect environment for slimy mold to form, the most common contaminant, which pollutes ice cubes instantly.

Even if you wanted to clean an ice machine perfectly, you would have to break it apart completely and reassemble it. This would make you lose your manufacturer guarantee, so no one does it. Some studies go as far as recommending banning ice machines for good.